Having a good sausage roll recipe up your sleeve is a must! Sausage rolls are great to take to parties, for entertaining at home and even as a quick dinner or a snack (which they quite often are in our house). These chicken sausage rolls are super easy to whip up, deliciously tasty and even better than your standard beef sausage rolls!
Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat and cook the onion and garlic, covered, stirring often for 10 minutes or until it’s nice and soft. Let it cool for a few minutes. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius (200 degrees celcius fan forced). Process the bread into crumbs and put them into a large bowl. Then process the chicken until a mince consistency forms, then add the chicken, onion mixture, herbs, lemon juice and rind to the breadcrumbs and season and mix to combine.
Place one sixth of chicken mixture along centre of each pastry piece and brush the edges with a teensy bit of water. Fold over filling and press it gently to seal. Turn over with the seam side facing down and brush with the egg and top with sesame seeds. Cut each into 6 pieces and place on lined baking trays. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked.
BEST EVER CHICKEN SAUSAGE ROLLS
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 slices wholemeal bread, torn (you can use packet breadcrumbs)
- 500g chicken tenderloins, chopped (you can use chicken mince)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
- 1 small zucchini, finely grated
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed, halved
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius (200 degrees celcius fan forced). Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat. Cook onion and garlic, covered, stirring often for 10 minutes or until soft. Cool. Process the bread into crumbs. Transfer to a bowl.
- Process the chicken until a mince consistency forms. Add the chicken, onion mixture, herbs, lemon juice and rind to the breadcrumbs. Season and mix to combine.
- Place one sixth of chicken mixture along centre of each pastry piece. Brush edges with water. Fold over filling, pressing to seal. Turn over, seam side down and brush with egg. Top with sesame seeds.
- Cut each into 6 pieces. Place on lined baking trays. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked.
I love serving these with a beautiful potato salad with a mustard and sour cream dressing, just divine! I will be surprised if this isn’t a hit in your family.
About The Author
Trudie Bishop is our Chief of Foodspiration and an experienced home cook with a passion for learning and getting kids of all ages in the kitchen.